London Underground and Tube Tour
The Closest Thing to Time Travel!
Travel across 150 years in just two hours aboard our awesome London Underground and Tube Tour.
Starting at London’s first ever underground station and finishing at one of London’s futuristic space-age stations, you’ll hear first-hand the captivating twists and turns of the Tube’s history on this fun, fact-packed two-hour tour.
From learning about the Tube’s origins, construction and design, to catching a glimpse of one of London’s abandoned ‘ghost stations’, this experience is perfect for getting under the skin of the world’s oldest iconic underground system.
Highlights of the Tour
- Learning how London’s extensive underground network was constructed over 150 years ago – by hand.
- The hazards of running steam trains underground – including why staff requested leave to grow beards.
- How the Underground pioneered the concept of building an epic, money-spinning visual brand – from its iconic tube map to the look of its stations.
- A rare glimpse of a disused ‘ghost station’ abandoned over fifty years ago.
- An insight to the superstar architects behind the Underground’s distinctive architecture, including the man who painted London red and why some stations resemble spaceships.
- Why Big Ben tilts two centimetres to the North West – now that’s got you wondering!
Whether you want to discover more about the Tube’s design and engineering excellence to inform your studies, organise a fun corporate day out, or simply learn more about this great British icon, our entertaining, informative London Tube Tour will change the way you view the Underground forever.
Insider London’s award winning London Underground/Tube Tour limits our group size of 10.
What you need to know
Where is the meeting point?
Paddington Mainline Concourse, by the Bagel Factory
How long will The London Underground and Tube Tour take?
The tour is around two hours long – it starts at historic Paddington Station and finishes at futuristic Westminster station.
The route may change if stations are closed due to improvement work.
When does the tour run?
The tour runs weekly on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and UK Bank Holiday. The London Underground/Tube tour may also be booked as a private tour at a time suitable for you and your party, please send us an email to make an enquiry.
What do I need to take?
As the tour moves in and out of tube stations, you will need a zone 1 Travelcard or an Oyster card with £7 of pay-as-you-go credit. Please note this is not included in the ticket price.
It’s also a good idea to carry a bottle of water, especially on warm days, when travelling on the Tube.